Creating a better future through education
Agami is a US-registered non-profit charity, dedicated to promoting basic education for the underprivileged children in Bangladesh. Our aim is to provide educational materials, access to education and support, with an end goal of making our project villages self-sufficient.
How Agami is
Although Bangladesh provides free education to children in primary schools, there is an administrative charge to buy books and uniforms, and lunch boxes. Rural managed schools are also short-staffed and quality of education is compensated due to low or no admission fees. Every year, we at Agami receive an outpour of applicants from different schools that require funding and help in different areas of the school. Agami’s team visits the school, helps with focusing on key areas of school development and allocates funding accordingly. Agami believes that supporting the growth of a school will have a sustainable impact on the quality of education in the long-term.
15 districts have benefited from the Agami school program. Agami has implemented the program in conjunction with the Teachers’ Training Program to ensure that the science lessons were delivered effectively.
Engaged in Khan Acadamy Bangla
Khan Academy has delivered one billion lessons worldwide, and receives an overwhelming exposure of 40 million students and two million teachers every month. Khan Academy’s educational content has been translated to 36 foreign languages by volunteers and international organizations to educate the masses.
School Programs and Monitoring are the very first country-wide Agami initiative. Agami, in association with AEF's collaborative efforts, supports different schools across the country. The program operates on the basis of the school's needs focusing on primary to higher secondary schools.
Agami's Core Values
We have established a list of core values that guide our activities in order to fulfill our mission:
- Action group: We measure our success by the positive impact of the activities we undertake.
- Education: The focus of our group is empowering children through education.
- We define 'basic' education in terms of fundamental education necessary to become an effective citizen, not in terms of means. We will utilize any effective means and techniques necessary to provide pre-college education as defined by the government of Bangladesh
- We firmly believe that education is the best vehicle for breaking the cycle of poverty in developing countries. We will partner with other organizations, when and where possible, to provide a holistic solution addressing other critical needs such as health care, nutrition and economic opportunities.
- We may also choose to engage in local partnerships that align with Agami's vision, mission and core values.
- Secular: We aim to help any underprivileged child, regardless of religion.
- Non-political: We do not partner with any political group and/or party of national or international origin.
- Volunteer based: All of our members are volunteers, not paid employees. We may hire non-member staff to help execute our projects and programs.
- Donations: 100% of project donations received are invested in projects and programs benefiting the underprivileged.
Become an Volunteer
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer for any of the Agami chapters, please contact email@example.com
Join our Internship Program
Agami welcomes students who are passionate about education and particularly about making a change in the lives of underprivileged children, to get involved in our work through internships. Our interns have the opportunity to work directly with children and in schools. Many of the positions involve team work, where the interns work with other University students to complete an assignment.
In 2013, Agami interns are visiting schools across the country, monitoring project impact, providing mentoring and tutoring support, conducting computer classes and developing teaching aids to improve Science education.
Since the start of the program in 2009, Agami has welcomed interns from a number of schools and universities from USA and Bangladesh. These include:
- Harker School, San Jose
- Mission San Jose High School, Fremont
- Oakland Technical High School, Oakland
- Leland High School, San Jose
- Carleton College, Northfield
- IBA, University of Dhaka
- North South University, Dhaka
- BRAC University, Dhaka
- IER, University of Dhaka
- East West University, Dhaka
- Daffodil International University, Dhaka
- IUBAT, Dhaka
If you are interested in our internship program, please send a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Become a Member
Become a voting member of Agami. Change the future.